Feb 26, 2010

Flamenco!

Whoever said dancing wasn’t good exercise has never spent an hour and a half in a pair of flamenco shoes. After almost 6 years of not dancing I’ve decided to take up Flamenco again.

Flamenco (according to Wikipedia) is a style of music which is considered part of the culture of Spain, but is actually native to only one region: Andalusia. The term is also applied to the dance style performed to flamenco music.

The term Flamenco is not to be confused with Flamengo or Flamingo.

Unfortunately I had to borrow a pair of shoes from Pam, my dancing teacher, which were too small and as a result I have blisters on top of blisters on the back of my feet. I’ve ordered a pair in the correct size. Starting again isn’t cheap, but it’s well worth the cost at the end of the day.

The Price Check:
Leotard – R 120.00
Class – R 550.00
Shoes – R 400.00
Skirt Alteration – R 200.00
Exercise & Enjoyment – Priceless

For more information on adult and children Flamenco dancing lessons in Durban, South Africa contact Pam Johnson: pam at ane.co.za

Photo: Belen Maya taken by Javier Suarez


Photograph: Belen Maya taken by Gilles Larrain

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say and leave me a note :)